Today I am thinking of the talent of Mexico. We are in the city of Oaxaca, MX. There are numerous pueblos close to the center, each offering their own type of art, whether it be in the form of pottery, textiles alejembres ( the colorful carved animals), clothing, jewelry, or home accessories.
The first pueblo we visited was San Bartolono de Cayotepec. They are known for their black pottery. We were told the hardest part of making it was finding the black clay in the river; however, to someone missing the artistic bone, it all appeared difficult. Que Lastima! :) We were treated to a demonstration of a woman and her mother making the pottery. It did look easy for them, the way they sculpted and chisled away. It came so easily to them, after a life-time of doing it. The prices were very modestly priced and very unique and pretty. There were not only pots but all kinds of figurines as well.
Another village we visited was the pueblo of Arrabozola, famous for their alejembres, the carved and painted animals. It was nearly as fun arriving there as it was visiting. We rode in moto taxis, really a motorcycle designed with a cart. I'm certain they wouldn't pass road inspection in the states, but it was worth living dangerously as our young drivers enjoyed having a bit of a race through the streets! :) Upon arrival, we ate some of the most delicious "tacos" I have ever seen. They were huge, more like burritos, but not fried. I had a chile relleno one and others in our party had nopales, ( cactus which is actually delicious).
I once read that each alejembre was desiged individually as the artist carved, using the wood's shape to determine the animal. The wood is that of the Copal tree, a softer wood to carve. In the states these alejembres are seen as art and sell for high prices. The animals are intricately painted with fine threads and many contain individual pieces such as tails, shells, wings, quills, etc...which can be removed for travel. Many are signed by a family member who carved it. How unique and beautiful each piece was and what pride was taken in designing each piece! My sister, Abby, bought me some earrings I admired. I bet not many of you have or would probably wear porcupine earrings, but that is exactly what I have and love! :) They are unique to say the least, little brightly colored wooden quills sticking out of the little porcupine bodies. How typically Mexicana and how typically me! LOL
Perhaps the most intriguing to me was the tin work in the pueblo of Xochiltlon. We saw a demonstration offered by a family there, who did the tin work. Before, when I had seen these, I thought they were cute. Now, I appreciate how much time and effort was put into each piece and how they were made. One person drew a design on the aluminum, another cut them, the third, and perhaps the most fascinating part to me, was the person who stamped them. He had every type hand tool one can imagine, small and large. With each hit of the nail head a design appeared, which culminated in the creation of many objects of beauty such as a butterfly, flower, angel, cat, flower, whatever he designed as he stamped. Then, the objects were painted with a paint which is weather resistant. They were brilliant colors similar to those used on cars. Mirrors, frames, Chrismas ornaments, refrigerator magnets, etc...were all beautifully done and the most reasonably priced objects I've seen.
We visited the pueblo of Atzompa, known for it's beautifully glazed green pottery. I prefer the unique designs, the very Mexicana ones, the swans, turtles, etc...Again, all were beautifully done and very modestly priced. However, this is the place where I purchased my recuerdo ( memory), from an artist named Enedina Vasquez Cruz, which was not a bargain but it was worth the value to me. She creates terracotta figures with Oaxacan religious and national themes. She is known for her two-tone colorations, achieved from using different clays. She colors the natural clay with tones made from a variety of other clays, some which have been used for years. Enedina has won acclaim in the world of ceramics, and personally does all her own work from start to finish. Therefore her figures are rare and very collectible. Currently she has a piece on display at a museum in San Antonio. We purchased a shepard, with fine detailing of his face, and numerous little goats and sheep. I consider it art and am very happy to have it.
Next, it was off to Monte Alban, the ruins and pyramids outside of Oaxaca. It was a perfect day, cool breeze, and an incredible view. What always impresses me with pyramids is knowing how ancient they truly are and how smart the people must have been to have created such cities without the use of modern day mechanical devices. It does bring you back in time. These were created many, many, many moons before our country was ever discovered.
Knowing we have dinner tonight at our landlords, we stopped at a flower shop. For less than $12, a young man created an arrangement I'm certain would sell for $50 in the states. We selected a vase and a few colorful gerber daisies and asked him to make an arrangement. After a short wait, he appeared with not only the flowers we selected but two additional roses of various colors, and beatiful foliage, where he had taken wide leaves and doubled them over, encircling the arrangement. It was another example in creativitiy and pride in work. Perhaps I'll put on my porcupine earrings and head upstairs for dinner! :) Hasta Luego! :)
Friday, August 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment