Hola Amigos!
Three more conitnuous days of adventure here:
Fri.: Ocotlan: another pueblo outside of Oaxaca....This was a beautiful spot. Can't wait to get the cable to my camera when I return so that I can post pics! There was a beautiful church there, a beautiful park, and an extensive market where one could buy anything, and I mean anything.....Women were walking around with turkeys and chickens under their arms. Men were pulling very stubborn goats, sitting on their haunches, who obviously knew their fate. All kinds of breads, fruits, nuts, herbs, plants, vegies, etc....were being sold, some which I have never seen. The breads of MX. are scrumptious! We bought some and sat down to observe the people passing by.
Many people were members of one of the numerous branches of the Zapotec tribe. I am not knowledgable enough to impart what types of dress were used by which tribes of women. They were all very interesting and very unique and beautiful in their own way. Many women had very long hair, often waistlength or longer, done in braids, with beautiful colored ribbons of various colors interwoven the entire length of the braid. Some had goregous, brightly colored scarves over their braids, while others wrapped their braids with the beautiful ribbons, in a circle around the top of their heads. Many wore beautifully embroidered aprons over their dresses. Many balanced sacks and baskets of flowers, fruit, whatever...over their heads. Nearly all had shawls in which they carried their babies. I have always thought it looked so cool and easy, the way that wrap it. The babies seem quite comfortable and it appears to be quite sturdy. However, it is a mystery to me as to how they do it.
I bought a tepate, a small wool rug. All natural dies are used. Mine is a brilliant green which was obtained from alfalfa. It also has road runners with colors made from wine, indigo, and various other natural sources.
After Ocotlan, we visited another nearby pueblo, Santo Tomas de Jalieza. There the women are known for their beautiful weaving of cotton products, done in a back-strapping technique, with small looms on their backs. There were purses, belts, jackets, tablecloths, bedspreads, etc...all beautifully done. The people were very friendly. I only purchased small items there, a small coin purse and a thin belt, all beautifully woven.
Fri. evening: Tristan and I went to our favorite little neighborhood restaurant, which is a patio with a thatched roof. Again, another serendipitous event! :) There was a group of seven mariachis, serenading two young couples. The six of us were the only ones there. The owner said it was quite alright for us to join them. He knew us because we have frequented his place while here. Anyway, I was so glad Tristan got to see them. I have seen several groups in the past, but we really hadn't seen any here. Turns out it was in celebration of one of the young men's birthday. The music was great, people were having fun, it was very enjoyable, free entertainment. Tristan remarked, " You know, people here just enjoy life, don't they! " Now that, my friends, made my trip to MX.! I love to share MX. with my friends and family so that they can see MX. and make their own decisions. :)
Sat.: We went to the market near our neighborhood. Authentic Mexican markets are always fun. One never knows what might be encountered. We ended up with some delicious tamales, bread, and even a form of Mexican pizza, all which we really enjoyed. We also purchased hydroponically -grown lettuce and various other greens there. I have always said that some of my most enjoyable times in MX. are the unplanned ones, ones where you get a bit off the beaten track and discover something quite special. This was what happened as we were meandering our way home. I heard a tap, tap, tap....Thinking it was someone taking tap lessons or someone hammering, I didn't give it much thought. Then, I noticed some men with a huge loom of sorts and lots of threads of cotton. Across the cobble-stoned street was another man sitting at a loom, pushing it back and forth. Of course I was my usual snoopy self. :) I was peering in, when a man around 60, asked me if I would like to see his taller-factory. Por supesto! :) I and those with me were treated to a tour and also given a private showing of his store where there were many of the same beautiful woven cotton items I had seen in Santo Tomas. The tapping was the man working the hand-powered, old wooden, loom. The men across the street were preparing the threads of cotton for a roll for the machine.
Sat. evening: I am glad we had a teenager in the house to keep us a bit more active. We all decided to head toward the zocolo, which is always fun on a Sat. night. It always brings to mind how unattractively most of us Americans, certainly including myself, dress, compared to the local communities. I didn't see one man in shorts. Most had neatly ironed and pressed cotton shirts. The women wore beautiful skirts and dresses. There was tons of activity as usual. Free concerts, children playing, vendors selling, sidewalk cafes....What was most fun for me was seeing people preparing for an exit of the bride and groom. They were getting married in front of the huge and beautiful Santo Domingo church. Outside was an antique white stretch limo with gorgeous white flowers in front and behind. I had seen this. What I had not previously seen were the huge paper mache figures, dressed as a bride and groom, again,...so creative and so fun! We didn't stick around to see, but I know that people walk under these figures. The paper mache bride was quite endowed. :)
Sun., today, will be another posting. Too much fun, too much to write. Adios Amigos!
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment