Wednesday, June 24, 2009

So Who Wants To Ride The Bus?/The Choir

Hola Amigos! Today I am writing about riding the bus here in MX. So, how long has it been since you've ridden a bus? Not long enough you say....Well, maybe you'd feel differently if you had the bus ride we did yesterday. The best way to get around in this small mountain city is to take one of the numerous public buses to wherever you wish to go. They are very cheap, just a few pesos, and cover every imaginable place in the city. Anyway, yesterday we boarded a bus. A handsome Mexican man around our age "muy joven, of course," :), boarded with his guitar. He then started singing at the back of the bus. Curtis and I both looked at one another and said, "He has a beautiful voice!" So for a few pesos we not only got to our destination just fine but were treated to some beautiful songs enroute. I wonder even if I had the talent to sing and play the guitar so well if I would have the self-confidence, lack of inhibition to do that. I doubt it. Things are so different here. People seem to be so unconcerned that someone might think them silly. It seems enjoying life is more important than worrying about what others think. That's something I really love about Mexico, the passion for life, and lack of embarrassment to pursue it.

I wish I had thought of that when I interviewed with Eva's brother Tues. Eva, is an excellent teacher here at the Academia. She asked me if I would mind doing an interview for her brother who is working on his thesis here at Univ. of Guanajuato. I spent about 30 min. with him, being interviewed in Span., about a tourist"s perspective of Guanajuato/Mexico. I was rather nervous because he was recording it and I know my Span. certainly wasn't perfect. I did mention that some of my favorite things were really the little things that happen unexpectedly, (such as the beautiful singer on the bus). Previously I wrote about walking around and unexpectedly seeing all the great dancers (pics included on this blog), and/or discovering a parade while walking.

Yesterday, we walked up on a group of women, all around my age except a one younger and one much older whom I will describe later. They were in a choir and were singing. This was one of the few groups that we have heard that wasn't super, but the thing we loved about it was apparently they worked with whomever showed without regard as to how well they could or could not sing. Don't misunderstand, there were some good singers, but we had to laugh when we saw the much older woman, with no teeth, standing and singing in the choir. Again, just enjoy life! Amor, Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment