Friday, July 3, 2009

French does help-at least that's my excuse :)

It is a little after 2. I am sitting at a table on the covered patio discussing "las clases" with a young French speaker from Quebec. Of course, we were conversing in Spanish. Spanish, being a romance language, has many words very similar in French. I have noticed that most French speakers speak Spanish quite well or certainly can learn it quickly. He has now left as this particular bout of rain has subsided.

As you know, we are in the rainy season here in the mountains. It is actually a bit chilly, ( I know my Texas friends are tired of me mentioning this. :) The rains are very refreshing and usually do not interfere with our plans. Usually, it either rains pm. or evening, but not both. Sometimes it comes quite fiercely and for a substantial amount of time; however, usually when that happens there is a day or two with no rain.

We are enjoying our dance class. The young man is such a good teacher. After dance, I have writing this week, followed by cine. We saw a very good movie, entirely in Spanish. Sometimes I get a bit frustrated watching Spanish movies. I usually do "get it" overall, but just when I think I'm doing so well, I realize that I do miss parts of some conversations. It is like everything else, the more practice, the better. :) There is always more vocabulary to learn. Anyway, the young man from Quebec was in my cine class. I wondered how his Spanish could be so good. Then, I discovered he is a French speaker. This always makes me feel better.

Next week we will continue our private dance lesson. I will have another week of Latin literature, a conversation class, and my private class. Each week, the school allows you to pick and choose your own schedule. As I knew, the school did not even question giving me credit for the classes I had to miss due to the emergency I mentioned in a previous blog. I do love this school!

I know my US friends will be celebrating the 4th this weekend. Have a great one! Hasta Luego, Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment